Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Careful Living: Not as Unwise, but as Wise

King Solomon spared no expense to build a temple for God. He made sacrifices three times a year at the temple. 1 Kings describes the worship scene honoring God for weeks. 
And then King Solomon blew it.
1 Kings 11 (MSG) records:
6-8 Solomon openly defied God; he did not follow in his father David’s footsteps. He went on to build a sacred shrine to Chemosh, the horrible god of Moab, and to Molech, the horrible god of the Ammonites, on a hill just east of Jerusalem. He built similar shrines for all his foreign wives, who then polluted the countryside with the smoke and stench of their sacrifices.9-10 God was furious with Solomon for abandoning the God of Israel, the God who had twice appeared to him and had so clearly commanded him not to fool around with other gods. Solomon faithlessly disobeyed God’s orders.
How easy is it to take our eyes off of the One our heart loves! 
A warning and reminder in the New Testament is in Ephesians 5 (NIV):
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For me, I think having my quiet time reading and praying in the mornings helps me get re-centered.  It also helps to listen to praise music that "brings me before the throne room", so to speak, reminding me of the amazing personal relationship I have with the Lover of my Soul, and friends who pray, reach, and touch my life with encouraging words and service all help me to remember who I am and Whose I am. 

Lord, help me to remember your love for me in a tangible and present way.  Help me to be that Godly friend who prays for others and gives encouraging words and touches.  Help me to be the salt and light in this very dark and hopeless world that so many people flounder in. Forgive me of my sins. Cleanse my heart. Guide my path. Hug me. Hold me. Fill me. Use me.

No comments:

Post a Comment