Wednesday, January 4, 2017

You Will Be a Blessing

More ponderings of turning 50 this year.
Both of my grandmothers lived 100 years. I can confidently assume it is in my genes to live a long and healthy life. That being the case, I'm seeing the need to prepare my body, mind, and spirit for this next half of my life.
Yes, I finally joined a gym to work on weight-bearing exercise and do more cardio when the weather or sky is frightful. I have wanted to do this for several months now, but it was quite an expense.  Jim gifted me a membership for my Christmas present, and I am ever-so-thankful!
Yesterday I made my premier visit and joined the gym!
Scripture memory is another goal I have in mind to prepare my spirit. The first verse I've chosen to memorize this year is one I think aptly fits my age, experience, and disposition. It is also a nice reminder to focus on others instead of myself. It is 1 Peter 5:2 NIV
"Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve;".
In my quiet time this morning, I read about Abraham (Genesis 12). In verse 2, God promises his future that he will be a blessing. Abraham was 75 years old when he set out to accept and fulfill God's promises. I don't know what God has in store for my future, but I know He has the power to use my life to bless others. A disciplined body, mind, and spirit would prepare me for this journey that I'm on. But, sadly, these areas are so weak in my life. I DO lack self-discipline most of all. And so, I confess, "Lord, you know my heart and my weaknesses.  You know I am a cracked and split vessel that isn't stable or sound. Help me seal up my weakened areas. Pour out your mercy and grace on my behalf, not because I deserve it, but because I need you so much. Let me hear your Spirit prompting and then help me to act upon it. Give me tools and systems to help me prepare my mind and body to be a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment