Tuesday, January 10, 2017

When Others Curse Us

This morning in my quiet time, I was reading about Isaac who was being blessed by God.  The Philistines who lived around him were fine until he started getting richer and richer. Here it is in Genesis 26 MSG
12-15 Isaac planted crops in that land and took in a huge harvest. God blessed him. The man got richer and richer by the day until he was very wealthy. He accumulated flocks and herds and many, many servants, so much so that the Philistines began to envy him. They got back at him by throwing dirt and debris into all the wells that his father’s servants had dug back in the days of his father Abraham, clogging up all the wells.
Envy turned into evil acts.  The Philistines were setting him up to be unsuccessful. They were putting dirt and garbage in Isaac's wells.

Sometimes I think it is good to be reminded that when other people act badly toward me, it may not have anything to do with me personally.  It may have to do with the fact that they struggle with the sin of envy. Envy has gotten ahold of their spirits and then they act in sin against me.
I have a difficult time accepting this.  I always want to have some specific action of something I've done to take the blame for people's hatred toward me. Don't get me wrong, I can't think of anyone out there hating me right NOW, but I can certainly recall times when I felt other teachers or admin having a strong dislike toward me, to the point of sabotaging my world. I keep wanting to defend myself of what I'm being accused--but here is an example in scripture that is a good reminder:
It isn't always about ME.  Other people have their own problems and sin.
I don't know why I need to remind myself of this, but I do.  Perhaps it is all wrapped up in my fear of rejection--my big heart issue since childhood.
And I guess I just wanted to write it down since the little tidbit from scripture was staring up at me during my quiet time.  It is nice to be told something that is a truth--especially when I'm not currently smack-dab in the middle of it and all involved emotionally.
The story of Isaac and his neighbors continues and gets more elaborate, with Isaac leaving the area, digging more wells, being falsely accused again, etc. Then God spoke this blessing to him in v24
I am the God of Abraham your father;
    don’t fear a thing because I’m with you.
And God blessed Isaac. We may not understand what is going on in the bigger picture around us.  We are to be peacemakers.  We are to be loving.  But sometimes it just isn't enough for others.  And that is OK.  God still has a plan for us and for them.
Image: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLFhO3QoWBfonL8sZ-Tdo5lC7JWFB47410YqN2_PpCPEwiKhKvfA
Scripture: BibleGateway.comThe Message

No comments:

Post a Comment