Tuesday, January 3, 2017

150 Ark Style

One hundred fifty.
Yep, that's my goal. I'm shooting to weigh 150 lbs by my 50th birthday on May 18.
I remember going to my family doctor twenty years ago concerned that I was a big, hefty 150 lbs. She put me on a 1000 cal./day diet plan approved by Amer. Heart Assoc. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I'd never been a size 6 before! I had to shop for all new clothes. (My teacher friends at school actually did an intervention meeting on me one day because they were so concerned about my skinny-ness.)
I laugh when I think back to how upset I was about being a fluffy 150. If I'd only known then what I know now!
I'm rambling. Back to my point.
So, I've set my sights on a HEALTHY 150 as my goal to start the second half of my life full of promise.
I have been thinking of numbers quite a bit with my goal-setting. In my quiet time this morning, I read about Noah building and launching the ark (Gen. 7). He was 600 years old when the floods happened. How in the world could I last another 50 years on this earth and maintain a healthy weight? I am such a yo-yo---either gaining or losing, never m-a-i-n-t-a-i-n-i-n-g.
Then I saw the next number--150 days. Yes, it rained for 40 days/nights, but it said the floods took over for 150 days. That's about 5 months. I've got about 5 months to reach my new goal.
One day at a time.
One discipline at a time.
Small, repeated deposits over time.
That's how the ark was built--one gopher-wood plank at a time.
That's how the rain receded into the earth--one drop at a time.
Every time I say, "No" to a cookie--cha-ching/deposit.
Every time I lift my knees to stretch, pose, hold, repeat--cha-ching/deposit.
It is how it works.
It is about time and small choices over and over again.
My future health and promise of making a difference with this earthly body to impact my world depends on the daily hammering away.
Steadfast discipline. One nail at a time. It is time to build an ark.
Images: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Winnipeg_city_route_150.svg/1280px-Winnipeg_city_route_150.svg.png
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Evan_Almighty_Ark.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment