Thursday, June 9, 2016

Knowing + Not Doing = Sin

In my quiet time this morning, I read John 19--where Jesus was crucified. 
John 19: 19-22  
Pilate wrote a sign and had it placed on the cross. It read: jesus the nazarenethe king of the jews. 20-21 Many of the Jews read the sign because the place where Jesus was crucified was right next to the city. It was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek. The Jewish high priests objected. “Don’t write,” they said to Pilate, “‘The King of the Jews.’ Make it, ‘This man said, “I am the King of the Jews.”’”22 Pilate said, “What I’ve written, I’ve written.” (The Message)
When I read what Pilate said, I knew he knew. Pilate knew Jesus was the Messiah. Yet, he allowed him to be crucified anyway. That internal voice, the conscience, the huge impression, the tick, tick, tick in the mind---he KNEW. And he did it anyway. 
James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin." (KJV)
In this ladies summer Bible study Time of Your Life that I'm working on, one thing I need to remember is that each lady is going through her own message that she is receiving from God. If I am writing questions for the daily Bible study, I need to write generic reflection questions and actions. Whatever the Lord is leading each to do, as she sees it, the struggle to comply, obey, release, or whatever will be huge. It will be hard. It may be painful. It will involve sacrifice. Yet, to not do so, once God has revealed His path, would be considered sin. 
James 4:13-17 
13 Go to now, ye that say, Today or tomorrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. (KJV)
Lord, help me to be sensitive to Your guidance in choosing scriptures and writing reflective questions. Help me to obey as You lead me in my life. Help me listen to You as You speak. Help me to be disciplined enough to act in obedience as You direct. Forgive me of my sin, as my flesh is mighty powerful.  I've had a lot of years of practice in obeying it, instead of You. Help me in my weakness, Father. I want to please You.
Image:http://www.talentshare.org/~mm9n/articles/foundations/4.htm35.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment