Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Choices: To JOIN God Where He is At Work or NOT

Woo Hoo!  Last night was our first night of the ladies' Bible study Time of Your Life by Andy Stanley. After watching the video, we sat around discussing some questions related to the sermon, such as: Tell what comes to mind when you hear the phrase, "If I'm going to do something, I need to go ahead and do it." And "What is the point of life?"

I overheard Paige Fisher (I'm sure she doesn't mind me using her name in this instance!) talking about how God is at work in the world all the time to fulfill his plans and purposes. When we decide to join Him, it is like He is offering us the opportunity to participate in this great plan of His. And immediately what she said reminded me of the story of Queen Esther--which I've been reading about in my daily quiet time.
Esther 4:13 Mordecai told the messenger to reply to Esther, “Don’t think that you will escape the fate of all the Jews because you are in the king’s palace. 14 If you keep silent at this time, liberation and deliverance will come to the Jewish people from another place, but you and your father’s house will be destroyed. Who knows, perhaps you have come to your royal position for such a time as this.”15 Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go and assemble all the Jews who can be found in Susa and fast for me. Don’t eat or drink for three days, day or night. I and my female servants will also fasting the same way. After that, I will go to the king even if it is against the law. If I perish, I perish.” 17 So Mordecai went and did everything Esther had ordered him. (HCSB)
So the big question I need to consider in this TIME OF MY LIFE is WHERE is God at work around me? How can I join Him? What can I do to prepare for the ministry opportunities He is sending my way?
In answer to the above question--which I've been studying this past month (not just last night), I think being a part of this ladies Bible study, preparing the daily questions for it, and leading it are part of how God wants to use me to minister to ladies in Columbia South Carolina. I think the Sewing Project for the women of South Sudan is a part God's bigger work in the lives of not just ladies overseas, but here at home, who may not be able to GO on mission, but can help be a blessing!  I think getting to a healthy weight and fitness level so that I can be better prepared to travel while overseas  and live a long and healthy life is part of my personal goal, as well.

One of the things I want to explore more is how I can join Jim in his work toward being a blessing to the South Sudanese people. His heart is there.  I need to begin taking steps to seek how I can get involved in a supportive role to HIM--not just think about what I can do on my own.  


Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/South_Sudan_on_the_globe_(Africa_centered).svg/480px-South_Sudan_on_the_globe_(Africa_centered).svg.png

No comments:

Post a Comment