Sunday, May 22, 2016

Returning Insult for Kindness: Being Misunderstood

This morning in my quiet time, I read 1 Cor. 19. David sent condolences to the son of an Ammonite king. The son misunderstood David's intentions--thought David's men were spies instead of comforters--and responded with rudeness (shaved beards and cut clothing to expose men's butts.) It was insulting.

[It reminded me of the time when David asked Nabal for food when running from Saul in the wilderness. If Abigail hadn't intervened the misunderstanding, death would have been on David's hands. So David was acquainted with being misunderstood.]


The whole incident resulted in war. Thousands died.

I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I can certainly relate to having my personal intentions questioned, being misunderstood, and decisions made against me as a result. It pierces the deepest part of my pride--of wanting to be known as a kind, creative, and caring person versus selfish, haughty, and rude. Perhaps it is because I do so many dumb things that it is just assumed. For example, David was innocent of spying against Ammonite king--he really did want to send condolences, however, in the next few chapters of 1 Chronicles, David did ultra-stupid:  he took a census of all the Israelites (this was forbidden). As a result, 70,000 were killed. So David wasn't innocent of everything he did in his life. As the youth say these days, "Haters gonna hate."

Matthew 5:11-12"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Lord, help me to remember to TRUST in You when I'm feeling misjudged and misunderstood. Help me to learn to rejoice that You've got this.

Image: http://content.altfonts.com:88/img/M/I/Misunderstood.png

No comments:

Post a Comment