Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Fighting, Crying Out, TRUSTING again and again and again

In 1 Chronicles 5:
18-22 The families of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh . . . fought against the Hagrites, Jetur, Naphish, and Nodab. God helped them as they fought. God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them, because they cried out to him during the battle. God answered their prayers because they trusted him. 
The families fought --> God helped
The families cried out to God in battle --> God answered their prayers
They trusted
Seems like a formula to me.

AND THEN, IN THE VERY NEXT VERSES:
23-26  . . . But they were not faithful to the God of their ancestors. They took up with the ungodly gods of the peoples of the land whom God had gotten rid of before they arrived. So the God of Israel stirred up the spirit of Pul king of Assyria (Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria) to take the families of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh into exile. He deported them to Halah, Habor, Hara, and the river of Gozan. They’ve been there ever since.
The families took up with ungodly gods of the peoples --> God sent them into exile
In other words, they stopped trusting.
Yeah, formula.
The thing that scares me when I read stuff like this is that while I may be seeking His face today, I may turn around tomorrow and try to live life MY WAY. Trusting is difficult.  Trust must occur again and again. It isn't a one time, "I'm gonna turn my life over to God, now." It is a daily, "Good morning, God, I love You. What do you have in mind for me for today? I want to be a part of it."
My grandmother, Mamamarge, began each of her days with this prayer. (The painting is from my cousin Beth as a Christmas gift to me this year!)

As I prepare for this summer's ladies' Bible study, one of the things Andy Stanley encourages us to begin doing is starting the first few moments of every day in prayer.  And specifically, to pray the following prayer by Moses, "Lord, teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12.

"Lord, teach me to number my day today, that I may gain a heart of wisdom."

No comments:

Post a Comment