Sunday, April 3, 2016

Ruth Made Her Choice


This morning in my quiet time, I read the story of Ruth. Before today, I never pondered her perspective when making the choice to leave Moab. Her family, traditions, culture, religious beliefs--everything she grew up knowing--was in Moab. I understand that when she married a foreigner, she was committing to him for life---but his life was gone, now. 
Ruth chose to go with Naomi--her mother-in-law, a foreigner, without a man to protect and provide, they would be homeless, away from her family, an outcast. But she chose to do the hard thing. She chose a strenuous path over the comfortable path. She chose to take care of Naomi instead of just looking out for her own interests. 
The Bible says in Ruth 2: 11-12 Boaz answered her, "I've heard all about you--heard about the way you treated your mother-in-law after the death of her husband, and how you left your father and mother and the land of your birth and have come to live among a bunch of total strangers. God reward you well for what you've done--and with a generous bonus besides from God, to whom you've come seeking protection under his wings." (The Msg)
I never noticed the last line--"God, to whom you've come seeking protection under His wings."
Ruth wasn't just taking care of Naomi, she was seeking God's protection.
How can I apply this example to my life? All throughout the story of Ruth, she chose the harder paths over the comfortable--leaving comforts of home and family, taking care of elderly M-I-L, working in barley fields during harvest. 
And I'm just a fat American, sitting on my butt in my big easy chair with a computer in my lap. I don't even have the consistent discipline to exercise and eat healthily. 
Lord, help me to be more like Ruth--to be able to make hard, disciplined choices in all areas of my life, and to seek protection under Your wings. On the outside, I understand the concept of being faithful in the little things before being given opportunity/responsibility of bigger things. 
Today, may I be faithful and disciplined in the little things. May I chose the hard path. Lord, transform me, use me, and shelter me when it is stormy.
Encouraging Verse:
Eph. 5:8 "for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light" (NASB)



image:http://zemedelskatehnika.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/echemik.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment