Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Perspective Determines My Operation


This morning in my quiet time, I read 1 Samuel 25. It is the story of David, on the run from Saul, when he camps out in the wilderness and asks for help from Nabal. Nabal, the fool, insults  David and refuses to offer hospitality to him, even though David protected Nabal's men and thousands of sheep/goats while in the fields. David reacted with violence, he gathered 400 men to attack Nabal's home. 
Enter the picture: Abigail. Wow, what a woman! So many lessons to be learned by hearing about her! What her husband Nabal considered a threat, she considered an opportunity. When he cursed, she blessed. When he sat on his butt and threw a feast for himself, instead of enjoying the party, she got busy and supplied a variety of foods for David and his 600 men. 
It is amazing to me that 2 people can have such differing perspectives and interpretations of circumstances. 2 perspectives--2 outcomes.
Growing up with the mindset involving lack of discipline is a totally different attitude than being intentional with my time, my diet, my fitness, and my goals (at work and at home). I am so attracted to friends who push themselves (and me) to get the hard work done before having a seat. I WANT to be more like that, but in the moment, I often revert back to my lazy, lethargic, comfortable ways. I most often make the weaker choice--the Nabal choice. 
Reading the story of Abigail's wisdom and actions is a great reminder to me that my perspective determines my operation, my industry, my outcome, my success. I want to be a blessing. But first I need to get a vision for what that looks like in all areas of my life. I need to get organized and set goals. I need to practice making healthy choices--until it becomes my new forever norm. I suppose it will take months and years to do this.  It has taken nearly 50 years to become the happy-go-lucky, come-what-may, enjoy the moment kind of woman that I am. It will take effort, sweat, and perhaps a few tears to become the better me.
I'm in. Let's do this thing. I'm ready.
Hebrews 12:11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. (NASB)
Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-p8NOz7B5GCI/T2db3WzVdkI/AAAAAAAAAc8/XAHxHKZdqEk/s1600/digital-eyes-photomanupulation27.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment