Saturday, April 2, 2016

2016 Jan. 27 Manna, Doing the Job Alone, Organizing, and Letting Go of Control!


My goodness, there are too many lessons to mention in my Old Testament reading this morning--Exodus 16-18! How I would love to park my butt on these chapters--one at a time to meditate and contemplate! 
Ex. 16: Manna. Living in the wilderness, no homes, no jobs, no crops--the situation seemed utterly hopeless. Then God provided manna. He provided just enough, and nothing more, except on the day set aside for rest. Manna was their sustenance. It was what they needed, when they needed it. In the New Testament, Jesus claims to be the Bread of Life. (Jn 6:32-58) He came down from heaven to provide life--he who eats of the bread of life, will never hunger. 
Ex. 17: Doing the Job Alone. In the wilderness, the people were attacked by the Amalekites. Moses held up his staff--while the staff was up, the Israelites were winning. When the staff was lowered, they were losing. So 2 men came and held up Moses' arms so the staff could continue to be high for victory. I like SparkPeople because the friends I've made help me hold my hands up, leading to victory. In other aspects of my life, I need to remember to let my friends help me and to be a support to them, too. Life is hard. We need one another. Victory is possible. 
Ex. 18: When Moses' father-in-law saw how Moses was managing the day-to-day camp in the wilderness, he told Moses he needed to organize and release responsibilities of smaller details to others so he wouldn't get burned out. Moses was working so very hard to do it all. The good news is that Moses was able to take the advice and lesson his work load, allowing others to take on the work, too. Lesson: Am I working too hard? Do I need to step back, take a look at my needs and the goals I've taken on, and reorganize for my own mental health and stability? Probably so. It isn't a bad idea. 
Encouraging Verses

John 6: 32-33 Jesus responded, "The real significance of that Scripture is not that Moses gave you bread from heaven but that my Father is right now offering you bread from heaven, the real bread. The Bread of God came down out of heaven and is giving life to the world." (MSG) 
Image: from Mr. Biblehead http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-oGhVfsHu4Uc/T5Rv8tRBbwI/AAAAAAAABUc/ObO8KzX4UKw/s1600/mosesaaronhur.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment