Saturday, April 2, 2016

2016 April 1 Gideon, Jephthah, Samson: Judging the Judges


 
The scary thing about reading the Old Testament is how many times the people of God turned their backs on Him--even though they were supposed to be the model/representation of His power.
 
I'm currently reading Judges in my quiet time (I use Gateway.com--the Bible Reading Plan of reading both Old and New Testaments in a year). Every time I read about these people who sought God's help, received it, and then turned their faces' away from Him, it makes me feel frustrated. It seems so obvious as an outsider, an onlooker to a history far back in time. They blew it. Lots of them blew it. Most of them blew it. What is up with that? 


Is it a reminder to me that I am weak? I can turn my back on God's best for my life? Is it a warning? 


Probably so. I may not be in charge of much, but being faithful in little things is of utmost importance. If I cannot faithfully reign in my physical body -- including what I eat, how much I exercise, how quickly I finish important responsibilities/tasks -- how is it not a true reflection of my spiritual health, as well? For that is who I am. Really. 


It is easy to judge someone in history by looking at a few key highlights of his life. What will be in my highlight reel? A yo-yo body--size 10, size 18, size 8, size 16, size 12 . . . ???  
Or will I train my body and mind?
 
Hebrews 12: 11 "All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness." 
(NASB) 
Image: http://www.tulanelink.com/tulanelink/balance2.gif 

No comments:

Post a Comment